Published on November 4th, 2022
Last updated on January 24th, 2023
Split Ends On Hair: Causes And Efficient Treatment Methods
Beautiful, long, and silky locks are what every woman aspires to. However, even after the best hairdresser, your curls will remain in perfect condition for only a few weeks. After that, split ends on hair will occur. And no matter how well you take care of your hair or what products and masks you apply, the damage is inevitable.
Split ends appear due to blow-drying, combing, coloring, and other everyday things we do with our curls. It can be considered one of the hair life stages it always goes through. However, people have learned to help hair become healthier and prevent fast crack hair from appearing.
How to treat those locks? The classic way to get rid of split ends is to trim them. However, you can also use other hair care methods and delay the inevitable a bit. And most importantly – you will not need to pay for salon services and can do everything at home.
In our article, we will tell you about split ends, the reason for their occurrence and how to prevent it with only natural products you can buy in any shop.
What Are Split Ends On Hair
In the world of medicine, this phenomenon is known as trichoptilosis. This is a breakage of the hair at its tip due to wear and tear. However, this can also occur along the entire length of the hair. All people have this problem, but each to a different degree. So, you may have far fewer cracked ends than your friend due to how you style your hair, how often you blow dry it, and your lifestyle.
There are several types of split ends:
- Baby shaft. This is the classic look of split ends, where small hair emerges from another one;
- Y split. This hair damage looks like a ‘Y letter’;
- Taper. In this case, the hair does not fall off in different directions but rather remains straight, but with every centimeter, it becomes thinner and thinner like a needle;
- Incomplete. This type of hair damage looks like an extra hole in the hair, as the hair is weakened in the middle and does not separate at the end, as other types of damage do;
- Tree. This type of damage looks like tree branches without leaves. This is because the cuticle cannot simultaneously hold the hair together and splits apart in different directions;
- Feather. This type of split hair looks like a feather or a small spider web.
However, no matter what kind you have, cutting your hair is the only way to eliminate the problem.
How To Prevent Split Ends On Hair
Here are some practical tips on how to take care of your hair to prevent split ends:
- Reduce the number of times you wash your locks. If possible, wash it only with a conditioner rather than shampoo. Be careful when using shampoos that contain harsh ingredients because they can harm the structure of your curls;
- After washing, apply some conditioner. Even better, use a leave-in conditioner;
- Prefer a comb with wide teeth. Doing this can protect your hair from damage and maintain your health for a long time;
- Reduce the amount of time you spend using the hair dryer or the curling iron. Thus, high temperatures dry out the hair and make it brittle, which causes breakage of the locks. It will be in better condition if you use a dryer less frequently;
- When going outside in sweltering weather, ensure your locks are protected. You can use a hat or a sunscreen hair mask to do this;
- Remember to trim your ends regularly. This will help you avoid hair loss.
Causes Of Split Ends
There are a few different things that can cause this issue:
- One of the most popular causes of this problem is the lack of haircuts. If the hair is not trimmed, the ends can split into pieces and damage the entire hair, moving to higher sections. If you have long hair, you should cut it every 6-8 weeks.
- Using heat styling tools excessively is another common cause of split ends. If used frequently, blow dryers, curling irons, and flat irons can all harm your hair. Use a heat-protectant spray before using heat-styling tools if you must. The best thing you can do is to let your hair air dry whenever possible.
- Additionally, split ends can be caused by chemical treatments such as bleaching, coloring, and perming. These treatments can strip away the natural oils that protect your hair, making it more susceptible to damage. If you use any of these treatments, use a deep conditioner at least once weekly.
- In addition, split ends can also appear from mechanical stress on your hair, such as frequent drying with a towel or constant touching and picking at hair with your hands.
How To Get Rid Of Split Ends
So, you noticed a lot of cracked ends and realized it was time to change the situation radically. What are your options? It cannot be cured. Therefore, your only option is to cut off the damaged ends.
You have two options for this:
- Classic haircut. In this case, you go to the hairdresser and cut your hair there;
- Haircut with a candle. This method has become popular recently but has already won many hearts. For the procedure, a strand of hair is twisted and cut not with scissors or a machine but is partially burned with a candle. It is believed that this method helps to create a seal that gives your hair more time before the first split ends reappear. However, a specialist should only perform this procedure, as you can damage your hair.
Also, be careful with hair masks, as many often claim to help remove split ends. And this is partly true since the mask sticks together all the hairs for a certain time, and the illusion of the absence of cracked hair appears. However, the hair simply sticks together under the influence of the serum, and after a while, it will dry out and stick out of each other again.
Hair with split ends is a common issue that various causes can bring. Fortunately, there are numerous ways to eliminate split ends. The main thing to remember is that it is impossible to cure broken hair completely. In this case, you can only cut off the already damaged tips. Otherwise, preventive measures can help you. So, do not use aggressive products. Use only mild shampoo. Also, avoid rubbing your hair and braid it in tight buns. And additional moisture will only make your curls softer and less prone to breakage.
How To Prevent Split Ends?
To do this, it is enough to cut your hair regularly, take care of it and prevent hair damage.
How To Get Rid Of Split Ends Without Cutting Hair?
Unfortunately, getting rid of split ends without haircuts is impossible since damaged hair cannot be fixed.
How Much Does It Cost To Trim Split Ends?
On average, the cost of such a haircut will vary greatly depending on the reputation and popularity of the salon, but the options can cost you anywhere from $5 to $38.