Published on September 10th, 2022
Last updated on January 25th, 2023
How Long Does Hair Grow? Hair Facts You Should Be Aware Of
Head hair is a special part of our body. It needs constant care to keep it in good condition, shiny and soft. You should consider many factors for the hair on your head to grow healthy.
When it comes to hair, there are a lot of questions that people have. How long does it take for hair to grow? How can you make it grow faster? And how long does hair typically grow on the average?
In article, you will learn many useful methods for the quality growth of your hair, how to properly care for it and why it may grow more slowly than friend’s of yours. So if you’re curious about hair growth, keep reading!
Hair Grow Process
Hair is made up of a protein called keratin. It grows from follicles in the dermis or skin. The hair shaft, which you can see, is just the part of the hair that protrudes from the follicle. The average person has about 100,000 hair follicles on their scalp.
Hair growth occurs in stages:
- The anagen phase is the active growth phase. This phase can last anywhere from 2 to 8 years. Your hair will grow the fastest during this time;
- The catagen phase is a transitional phase that lasts about 2-3 weeks. During this time, your hair follicle will shrink, and your hair will detach from the blood supply;
- The telogen phase is the resting phase. It can last about 100 days, and your hair will not grow during this time. At the end of the telogen phase, your hair will fall out, and new hair will begin to grow in its place.
Everyone’s hair growth cycle is different, so it’s hard to say exactly how fast hair grows. However, on average, hair grows about half an inch per month.
Factors That May Affect Average Hair Growth
This is a question that many people ask, especially those who are interested in hair care. While the answer may vary depending on factors such as age, health, and genetics, the average person can expect hair growth of about half an inch per month.
There are a few things that can affect hair growth, such as:
- Age: As we age, our hair tends to grow slower;
- Health: Poor nutrition and certain medical conditions can lead to slower hair growth or even hair loss;
- Genetics: Some people simply have faster-growing hair than others;
- Sex: Male hair grows faster than female hair.
If you’re concerned about your hair growth or lack thereof, it’s always best to consult with a hair care professional. They can help you determine the cause of your problem and recommend the best course of action.
Are There Ways To Stimulate Hair Growth?
Yes, there are ways to promote hair growth. The average hair growth is about six inches per year or half an inch per month. However, there are ways to promote hair growth and increase the rate at which it grows.
You can try different hairstyles, treatments, and products to help your hair look its best and grow as quickly as possible. Everyone is different, so what works for one person might not work for another. Talk to your stylist or dermatologist about the best way to take care of your hair and promote healthy growth.
Tips For Healthy Hair Growth
Here are general recommendations to stimulate your hair growth:
- Eat a healthy diet. Hair is made mainly of protein, so include plenty of protein-rich foods in your diet. Protein sources include eggs, fish, poultry, meat, soy, and beans. Besides this, a healthy diet is the best way to strengthen your health and feel better;
- Take supplements. You may want to take supplements to promote hair growth if you’re not getting enough nutrients from your diet. Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin often taken to improve hair and nail health;
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is vital for overall health and can also impact hair growth. Getting enough rest can help promote healthy hair growth;
- Reduce stress. Stress can impact your overall health and may contribute to hair loss. Reducing stress may help promote healthy hair growth;
- Avoid harsh chemicals. Chemicals like those found in hair dyes and straighteners can damage your hair and scalp. If you use these products, follow the directions carefully and avoid using them too often;
- Be gentle with your hair. When brushing or shampooing your hair, be gentle to avoid damaging it. Wet hair is more fragile than dry, be extra careful when handling wet hair. This approach will help you to increase your monthly hair growth;
- Talk to your doctor. Talk to a specialist if you’re concerned about hair loss or do not see the results you want from home treatment options. They can help you identify the cause of your hair loss and recommend treatment options;
- Make a scalp massage. Massaging your scalp is great for helping blood flow to the hair follicles, thus improving the supply of nutrients to your hair. And this, in turn, accelerates and improves the growth of your hair;
- Watch the temperature. High and low temperatures constrict blood vessels, reducing hair nutrition and weakening their growth and loss. Wear tight hats that squeeze the head, no less harmful to the hair, especially if they are made of synthetic materials;
- Use hair protection during sleep time. For example, you can use a silk scarf to protect your hair. It’s similar to sleeping on a silk pillowcase but keeps your hair back without needing an elastic. Sleeping with a chic satin headscarf elevates your beauty sleep to the next level. The scarf, like the silk pillowcase, will help protect your ends and keep your hairstyle in place;
- Don’t overuse hair coloring. As much as you’d like to dye your hair and give it a new look, hair dye is mainly made from components harmful to your hair. Coloring your hair several times a year is fine, but overusing hair dye can negatively affect its monthly growth.
There are some ways to promote hair growth. Eating a healthy diet, getting enough sleep, and reducing stress can help. You may also want to try supplements or different hairstyles and products. If you’re concerned about hair loss, talk to your doctor. They can help you identify the cause and recommend treatment options.
How Long Does Hair Grow?
Let’s get right to it: hair grows at a rate of about half an inch per month, or six inches per year on average. Each hair on your head grows from its follicle.
Why Do I Need To Care For My Hair?
Hair care has many advantages that promote healthy hygiene and self-esteem. On the other hand, proper hair maintenance can provide longevity by lowering the risk of premature hair loss.
Can I Increase Hair Growth Speed?
Although you can’t change the number of hair follicles you have, eating a well-balanced diet that includes hair-growth nutrients like biotin, vitamin C, and protein can help increase your hair density naturally. Reducing hair damage by avoiding permanent dye and drying hair with heat may also be beneficial.
What Stimulates The Growth Of Hair?
Studies have linked deficiencies in vitamins B12 and D, biotin, riboflavin, iron, and other nutrients to hair loss. Eating a well-balanced diet high in these vitamins and minerals may aid hair growth, especially if you’re prone to hair loss due to poor nutrition.