Published on October 27th, 2022
Last updated on January 24th, 2023
What Causes Double Chin And How To Prevent It To Appear?
A beautiful and toned chin is the basis for a good selfie and self-presentation. Unfortunately, just like our hips, our chin can also gain weight and turn into a double chin which is hard to remove. This problem is common among people all over the planet, but the reasons can be completely different. In most cases, double chin fat occurs due to excessive consumption of unhealthy and fatty foods, but there may be other reasons for this problem.
Fortunately, there are many methods to get rid of a double chin, ranging from simple exercises for three minutes to surgery. You will surely be able to find a way that will help you.
In this article, we will look at the main causes of double chin, ways to remove it and prevent it from occurring, and treatment options for this problem. Now grab a quick fresh cucumber, cook some oatmeal, and read on to find out how you can shrink your chin.
Why Does Double Chin Appear?
A double chin, also known as submental fat, is a common condition when a layer of fat builds up below your chin. Here are 10 common causes of it and what you can do about it:
- Age: As you age, your skin loses its elasticity and starts to sag. This can cause excess fat to collect below your chin;
- Weight gain: When you gain weight, you often store some of that chin fat in your chin area, which can lead to a problem;
- Genetics: If someone in your family has this problem, you may also be more likely to have it;
- Poor diet: Eating many processed and high-fat foods can lead to weight gain and double chin fat;
- Lack of exercise: Exercise helps to tone the muscles in your face and neck, so if you’re not getting enough physical activity, it could contribute to problems below your chin;
- Poor posture: Slouching or holding your head down can cause the muscles in your neck and jawline to weaken;
- Sleeping position: Gravity can pull the skin under your chin if you sleep on your stomach or side with your head turned down;
- Mouth breather: If you breathe through your mouth instead of your nose, it can cause the muscles in your jawline to weaken over time and lead to a double chin;
- Excess alcohol consumption: Drinking too much alcohol can lead to dehydration, making the skin around your face look loose and saggy – including under your chin;
- Smoking cigarettes: Smoking cigarettes causes premature ageing by breaking down collagen and elastin in the skin (two proteins that keep skin firm). It also decreases blood flow to the skin, making it look dull and unhealthy – and more likely to develop a fat chin over time.
How To Remove Double Chin: 5 Working Ways
Today, there are 5 working ways to solve a double chin problem:
1. Food Consumption Habits
Diet is one of the most important ways to change the amount of body fat in any area of your body. For best results, it is best to use diet in combination with exercise. If your goal is to lose weight, you should take care of a calorie deficit. This will help burn all excess fat effectively and make your chin smoother without a twin brother. To do this, calculate your average calorie intake and remove 200 calories.
2. Change Your Lifestyle
As for sports exercises, you should pay more attention to cardio exercises, but be very careful, as cardio requires a lot of stress on the nervous system and heart. After a few weeks, you will be able to see the first results. And for your muscles to become more aesthetic, you need to pay attention to strength training with weight once a week. However, remember that for proper training exercises, you need to master the technique and only then take heavier weights. Correct technique will help you avoid injury, and you will be able to achieve maximum results in the shortest possible time. Remember the basic rules of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates when gaining muscle mass.
In general, you should simply change your lifestyle for a non-medical method of getting rid of a fat chin. Be more active, eat right, and reduce the amount of alcohol and nicotine.
3. Skincare Routine
If you know that your double chin results from saggy skin and not excess fat, you should pay attention to skincare. So, you should regularly massage the chin area and nourish the skin with beneficial nutrients in face masks.
4. Review Your Bad Habits
If you smoke or drink alcohol, this can also cause a double chin. In this case, the best solution is to get rid of cigarettes and reduce alcohol consumption to a minimum.
5. Medical Solution
If you are faced with the fact that your double chin does not disappear after you completely change your life and diet, a medical approach to the problem will most likely help you.
- Botox. This method helps to achieve a lifting effect in the jaw and neck area. However, this approach can cost a lot of money;
- Facelift methods. In this case, you will be able to get rid of the fat chin only if you do not have problems with excess fat. With the help of the procedure, the doctor will tighten your skin in the neck area;
- You may also need surgery such as facial contouring. This procedure differs from standard lifting and requires less time to repair damaged skin. The procedure involves small skin incisions in problem areas and reduction of skin sagging.
Surgery is the fastest and most effective way to get rid of the double chin and reduce sagging skin, but it may require a second procedure. However, surgery can also require a costly investment that many cannot afford.
How To Prevent Double Chin From Appearing?
Here are some effective prevention measures for you to get rid of fat and saggy chin skin:
- By cocking your head back and making a whistle-like motion;
- In a similar manner to the previous one, lean back and pucker your lips like you are kissing something;
- Put a small ball under your chin and press it down to perform the ball squeeze;
- Try to pretend to be chewing gum;
- The lion’s yawn: To perform this, open your mouth widely and simulate yawning.
Many people note the effectiveness of such simple exercises; however, to achieve the desired effect, you must do these exercises regularly and master the correct technique. To do this, you can look for online tutorials where people show in detail how to do the exercises correctly.
As you can see, getting rid of an extra chin is relatively easy if you follow the basic principles of regular exercise, proper nutrition, and maintaining an average level of your health. However, there are cases when it is impossible to remove the double chin due to genetics. So, for example, many people get a short chin from their mother, which cannot be corrected non-surgically. People may think the problem is excess fat, but they may just have a short chin bone that almost merges into the neck.
Therefore, before losing weight, ensure that you have excess weight and not just a short chin; otherwise, you will not be able to get rid of the problem and gain complexes.
How To Remove The Double Chin?
Exercising regularly. This helps to tone the muscles under the chin and can reduce the appearance of fat. Eating a healthy diet. Avoiding foods that contribute to the formation of a double chin can help reduce its appearance. Losing weight. If you are overweight, losing weight can help reduce the appearance of your double chin.
How To Get Rid Of Fat On Chin Quickly?
The quick option is surgery, which reduces getting rid of fat on the chin to a few days.
What Causes A Double Chin?
There are many causes of a double chin, including: ageing, genetics, weight gain, poor posture, loose skin.
How Long Does It Take To Get Rid Of The Double Chin?
If you are carrying excess weight, you may see a reduction in your double chin after losing weight. However, if your double chin is due to ageing or genetics, reducing its appearance may be more challenging. Results vary and typically take several weeks to become evident.