Published on December 13th, 2022
Last updated on January 24th, 2023
How To Lighten Dark Lips? 12 Proven Ways
Lush, pink, soft lips – the result that all girls want to achieve. Although the lips are a pretty small detail of our body, they are one of the crucial signs on the face that attracts the attention of a person.
Unfortunately, lips can dry out, crack and darken. And of course, there are many reasons for this. All this can lead to disastrous results. For all these imperfections to be removed, you should take into account many factors and properly care for your lips. So, the main question is how to lighten dark lips.
In this article, we will tell you about the causes of dark lips, how you can lighten them at home without the help of professionals and aggressive products, how to prevent darkening of the lips and how to care for your lips.
Causes Of Dark Lips
Dark lips can be a source of frustration and insecurity for many women. After all, our lips are one of the first things people notice about us. If they’re not looking their best, it can be hard to feel confident. Before we get to treatment for dark lips, we should know what causes dark lips. So, keep reading to learn about the top 5 causes of dark lips – and how to fix them.
|Smoking||If you smoke cigarettes, chances are good that your lips are darker than they could be. That’s because smoking causes a build-up of toxins in the body – toxins that can cause your lips to look dull and discolored. If you want to get the proper dark lips treatment, quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do. Not only will it help your lips look better, it will also improve your overall health.|
|Sun Exposure||Like the rest of your skin, your lips are vulnerable to sun damage. If you spend a lot of time outdoors without wearing sunscreen or lip balm with SPF, your lips could become darker over time. To prevent this, always wear lip balm with SPF outdoors. And if you’re going to be in the sun for an extended period (like at the beach or pool), don’t forget to reapply every few hours.|
|Dehydration||Dehydration is another common cause of dark lips. When our bodies are dehydrated, our skin – including our lips – can look dry, dull, and discolored. To prevent this, ensure you drink plenty of water throughout the day (aim for 8 glasses). And if you are getting thirsty often, consider carrying a water bottle with you so you can take a sip whenever you need it.|
|Allergies||Believe it or not, allergies can also cause dark lips. If you have seasonal allergies or allergies to certain foods, you may notice that your lips start to look darker when your allergies are acting up. When we’re allergic to something, our bodies release histamine – a substance that can cause inflammation and swell in the blood vessels near the skin’s surface (including the lips). If you think allergies might be causing your dark lips, talk to your doctor about possible treatments.|
|Hormonal Imbalance||Hormonal imbalances can also cause darkening of the lips (as well as other changes in the skin). If you’ve noticed that your dark lip problem seems to come and go or gets worse at certain times of the month (like around ovulation or during PMS), it’s possible that hormones are to blame. Talk to your doctor if you think this might be the case so they can run some tests and see if there’s anything they can do to help balance your hormones.|
How To Lighten Dark Lips?
So, you’ve decided to lighten your lips. Here is what you can do for dark lips treatment to get the best result:
- Exfoliation. You can use sugar or a toothbrush for this. To exfoliate, gently scrub your lips with a brush or sugar for a few minutes. After the procedure, rinse your lips with water and apply a moisturizer.
- Pomegranate scrub. Grind 1 tablespoon of pomegranate seeds, and then mix with milk to make lip scrub for dark lips. Apply to lips and rinse with water after 3 minutes. However, if you experience irritation, you should stop using pomegranate juice.
- Massage. By massaging, you can increase blood flow to your lips and make them look brighter and rosier. This way, you can get a significant effect. Massaging the lips before going to bed for a few minutes is enough. You can also use oils during the massage for a better result.
- Lemon. Cut the lemon in half. Rub lemon on your lips before bed. Wash off the lemon juice with water in the morning. You can use it every day and see a successful result in 30 days.
- Lime. This fruit can also slow down the production of melanin in your body. Mix ½ teaspoon of lime juice, 1 teaspoon of honey, and one teaspoon of glycerin. Apply this lip scrub for dark lips before bed and rinse with water in the morning.
- Turmeric. Like many natural black lip treatments, turmeric can help improve the condition of your lips. To make a remedy, use 1 tablespoon of milk and turmeric powder. Mix the ingredients to make a paste. Rub the solution on your lips and rinse with water after five minutes. After turmeric, you can apply moisturizer to your lips.
- Aloe. It is enough to apply the product on the lips in a thin layer. Once the product dries, you can wash off the gel with water. Aloe is known to slow down melanin production, so this natural remedy can be great for helping your lips heal.
- Cucumber juice. Take half a cucumber. Grind it in a blender. After that, you need to cool the juice in the refrigerator and then apply the juice on your lips for half an hour. You can then rinse off with water.
- Strawberry. Mix strawberries and 2 teaspoons of baking soda. Apply the solution to your lips before going to bed, and rinse with water in the morning.
- Almond. Mix almond powder with 1 tablespoon of cream. Leave this remedy on your lips for five minutes. Then let dry. After that, you can rinse off the product with plain water. You can use this tool every day.
- Sugar. For this treatment for dark lips, you will need 3 teaspoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of butter. Mix these two ingredients and apply them to the lips. Leave the mixture for 4 minutes. Use this remedy three times a week.
- Beet. Prepare the beets with a blender. Once you get the red paste, you can use it on your lips. Apply beetroot on your lips, leave it on for 5-10 minutes, and then rinse with water. Once your lips are dry, apply a thin layer of Vaseline to protect your lips. Use beets twice a week.
How To Prevent Darkening Of The Lips?
So, for your lips to always be soft, bright, and beautiful, you must care for them properly. Here are some helpful tips on how to prevent dark lips:
- Hydration. Try to moisturize your lips more often. So, lip balm, lip oils, and even lip cream. You can buy these products at any skincare store. Ensure your lip products contain beeswax, cocoa butter, or shea butter.
- Sunscreen. Protecting your lips from the sun is very important. To prevent chapping and darkening of the lips, you should apply a cream with an SPF of 20 or higher.
- Smoking. Tobacco, tar, and other substances in a cigarette make lips dark. It is enough to quit smoking, and your lips can return to normal colour in a few months.
Thus, there are a few treatments for dark lips. You can try using a lip balm or lip scrub with lightening properties. You can also try home remedies like applying aloe vera or lemon juice to your lips. If you want to achieve long-term results, you can opt for professional treatments like laser therapy. Whichever method you choose, make sure to consult a dermatologist first to avoid any unwanted side effects.
How To Lighten Dark Lips?
There are a few ways to lighten dark lips. You can use a lip balm or Vaseline containing SPF, a homemade scrub made with natural ingredients like sugar and honey, or apply a thin layer of concealer on your lips before applying your lipstick.
What Are The Causes Of Dark Lips?
There are several factors that can cause dark lips, including sun exposure, smoking cigarettes, dehydration, and using certain medications. Additionally, people with naturally pigmented skin are more susceptible to developing darker lips.
How Can I Prevent My Lips From Getting Darker?
By using SPF-containing lip balms or Vaseline, quitting smoking, and maintaining hydration, you can stop your lips from turning darker. You should also make an effort to reduce the amount of time you spend in the sun and exfoliate your lips frequently with a lip scrub.
What Are The Best Treatments For Dark Lips?
Some of the best treatments for dark lips include laser treatments, dermal fillers, and microdermabrasion. However, if you are looking for a more affordable option, you can try using a lip balm or Vaseline that contains SPF, using a homemade scrub made with natural components.