Published on February 17th, 2023
Last updated on August 30th, 2023
Foods High With Vitamin A You Need To Add To Your Diet
Vitamin A is vital for good health and well-being. Many people are unaware this component is in various foods. Some people think they can only get vitamin A from animal-based sources like liver and fish oil. There are some foods high in vitamin A:
- Dairy products;
- Egg yolks;
- Leafy green;
- Some fruits and vegetables;
- Fortified plant-based milk and breakfast cereal.
Animal-based food with vitamin A is better than plant-based sources of vitamin A. So, it may require a bit more plant-based sources to get the same amount of vitamin A as animal-based sources. Note that if you get this vitamin in large doses, it can cause toxicity. It is best to consume a varied diet. Don’t rely on one source for the daily part of it.
Consult with a doctor before making any significant changes to your diet.
In this article, we will discuss some of the best foods high in vitamin A.
Foods That Are High In Vitamin A
You can find this vitamin in two forms. So, it can be retinoids, which you can find in animal-derived foods. And it can also be carotenoids, which you can find in plant-based foods.
- Liver: Just a 3-ounce serving of beef liver contains more than 100% of the recommended daily value. Also, you can add such animal-derived organs as pork and chicken livers.
- Dairy products: Dairy products contain small amounts of vitamin A. Whole milk, for example, contains around 10% of the daily value per cup.
- Fish: Fish such as salmon, tuna, and sardines are good sources of vitamin A. A 3-ounce serving of cooked salmon contains around 20% of the daily value.
- Egg yolks: Egg yolks are also good foods that are high in vitamin A. One large egg yolk contains around 6% of the daily value.
Note that consuming too much vitamin A from animal-derived sources can be toxic. It can cause side effects like headaches, nausea, and vomiting. It also includes hair loss, skin problems, and even bone fractures. Therefore, we recommend getting most of your vitamin A from plant-based sources. Also, talk to a doctor or dietitian before making any dietary changes.
Plant-based Sources Of Vitamin A
Many people are unaware they can obtain vitamin A from plant-based sources. So, as we said, you can get it not just from animal-based sources like liver and fish oil. Here we will discuss some of the best plant-based sources of vitamin A.
- Sweet potatoes. They have a lot of beta-carotene. It is a precursor to vitamin A. You can convert beta-carotene into vitamin A in the body as needed. You can make it with sweet potatoes as an excellent source of this nutrient. A single sweet potato can provide more than 200% of the daily intake of vitamin A.
- Carrots. These orange-colored vegetables are also high in beta-carotene. They can provide about 130% of the daily intake of vitamin A in one medium-sized carrot. You can eat raw, cooked, or juiced carrots, making them a versatile ingredient in many dishes.
- Leafy green. Leafy green vegetables are also foods that are high in vitamin A. It includes spinach, kale, and collard greens. These vegetables are high in carotenoids. They can provide a significant amount of vitamin A per serving. A cup of cooked spinach, for example, can provide about 15% of the daily intake of vitamin A.
- Pumpkins. Pumpkins are also an excellent plant-based source of vitamin A. A cup of cooked pumpkin can provide about 200% of the daily intake of vitamin A. They are also a great source of other nutrients such as fiber, Vitamin C, and potassium.
- Fortified plant-based milk and breakfast cereal. You can also add fortified plant-based milk and breakfast to your diet. However, as we have said, the body absorbs animal-based sources of vitamin A better than plant-based sources. So, it may require a bit more plant-based sources to get the same amount of vitamin A as animal-based sources.
It is vital to note that this vitamin toxicity can occur if large doses are consumed. It is best to consume a varied diet and not rely on a single food source for the daily intake of vitamin A.
What Fruits Contain Vitamin A?
In previous blocks of this article, we’ve discussed foods that are high in vitamin A. Now, we want to talk about fruits separately. Here are some fruits with vitamin A:
- Mangoes: One cup of sliced mangoes contains around 20% of the daily value.
- Papaya: Papaya is another great source of vitamin A. One cup of diced papaya contains around 14% of the daily value.
- Cantaloupe: Cantaloupe also includes vitamin A. One cup of diced cantaloupe contains around 11% of the daily value.
- Dried apricots: A quarter cup of dried apricots contains around 15% of the daily value.
- Guava: One cup of guava contains around 10% of the daily value.
- Pineapple: One cup of pineapple contains around 7% of the daily value.
- Kiwi: One kiwi fruit contains around 6% of the daily value.
- Orange: One medium orange contains around 3% of the recommended daily value.
- Grapefruit: One-half grapefruit contains around 3% of the recommended daily value.
It’s important to note that carotenoids from these fruits are not as easily absorbed. The body utilizes them as compared to retinoids found in animal-derived foods. Eating various fruits, vegetables, and other nutrient-dense foods is the best way to ensure you get enough vitamin A.
Talk to a doctor or dietitian before making any dietary changes.
Do Dry Fruits Are Rich In Vitamin A?
Dry fruits, such as apricots, peaches, and prunes, are a rich source of vitamin A:
- Apricots, for example, contain enough of this vitamin. They are high in beta-carotene, which is converted to vitamin A. A single apricot can give you about 20% of the daily intake of vitamin A. You can eat dry apricot or add it to recipes to boost Vitamin A.
- Peaches and prunes are also good sources of vitamin A. A half cup of dried peaches can provide about 10% of the daily intake of this component. Similarly, a half cup of dried prunes can provide about 8% of the daily part of vitamin A you need.
- Note that while dry fruits are rich in Vitamin A, they are also high in calories and sugar. So, consume them in moderation. Also, it’s always best to read the labels. It will help you to ensure that the dried fruits you are consuming are not treated with added sugar.
What Are The Benefits Of Vitamin A?
Vitamin A, which you can get with foods, is good for skin, vision, and bone health. What are other benefits:
- This vitamin plays a big role in maintaining good vision. It takes a special place in low-light conditions. Vitamin A is required to form a pigment called rhodopsin, essential for night vision. A deficiency of this component can lead to night blindness. It means a person has difficulty seeing in dim light.
- Vitamin A helps to increase the production of white blood cells. They play a crucial role in fighting off infections and diseases. It can help reduce the risk of illnesses. It is especially useful for children who are more susceptible to infections.
- Vitamin A, which you can get from some foods, is good for your skin. It makes your skin moist and soft and is also vital for the growth and repair of skin tissues.
- In addition, this component helps regulate bone growth and maintenance. Deficiency can cause a decrease in bone density. It can cause osteoporosis.
In conclusion, you should eat food with vitamin A. It can help you to get a good health. By consuming various foods we talk about, you can easily find them. Ask for recommendations from your doctor before trying some diets.
How Much Vitamin A Do I Need To Consume Daily?
The recommended daily intake of Vitamin A for adults is 900-700 micrograms per day.
Is It Possible To Get Enough Vitamin A From Plant-based Sources?
The body absorbs animal-based sources of Vitamin A more easily. It is still possible to get enough Vitamin A from plant-based sources by consuming various Vitamin A-rich foods.
Does A Chicken Have Vitamin A?
Yes, chicken meat contains small amounts of Vitamin A. A 100-gram serving of cooked chicken breast provides approximately 11% of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin A. It’s important to note that the amount of Vitamin A in chicken can vary based on factors such as the bird’s diet and cooking methods.
How Much Vitamin A Do Carrots Have?
Carrots are a rich source of Vitamin A. With 100g of raw carrots providing over 400% of the daily recommended intake. Consume a varied diet and do not rely on a single food source for the daily intake of Vitamin A.